Thursday, April 26, 2012

I buying a new computer. dual monitors is a must for me. SLI? crossfire? or dual output video card?

i need 2 monitors for work, but i also enjoy games. i really want to be able to play starcraft II when that comes out, so some hardware aptitude in 3d gaming is preferable (im not interested in having bragging rights on resolution or fps, just enough power to enjoy a multiplayer game).



my question: should i be leaning toward dual graphics boards? if so, is there any significant performance difference between ATI's crossfire and Nvidia's SLI?



finally, as an alternative, is there a dual DVI output video card that is comparable in gaming ability to my old video card: the ATI Radeon X1600XT. i might consider just upgrading my old comp to support dual monitors... ty for all your help!|||Im pretty sure that Crossfire is better then SLI (not by much though), but you can get SLI capable cards for pretty cheap (the 8600gt, great card, is only like $80 or so). Im not really sure about crossfire capable cards. It depends on your motherboard though. You cant have both Crossfire and SLI on the same Motherboard.|||I agree with Johnny. I also use a 8600gt and it works great. Can't compare with ATI, haven't ever used ATI equipment.

8600gt comes with 512MB onbd memory an plugs into a PCI Express Slot|||For dual monitors i would go with the new 9000 series from Nvidia or just get a high end single card will still play games well, but SLI is better for dual monitor. And also make sure when you choose SLI or Crossfire you get the Motherboard that supports 2 PCI-E slots.



But dual graphics can be pricey, if it is going with a high end single card will still do the job.|||The Radeon X1600XT would run dual monitors. You just needed a VGA to DVI adapter like the one they sell at Radio Shack. I couldn't wait, so I shelled out $15 bucks!,(or was it $17.99?) at Radio Shack. It's cheaper online, but like I said, Chickster gotta' have it now! Gimme! Lol! I run a Trinitron 21" CRT monitor, and a Gateway 19" LCD. Coulda' run two LCD screens,(will in future, I'm usin' my money for motherboard/cpu combo's right now) I use a ATI Radeon X600XT graphics card. Will be going to a 8800 series card, probably the 8800GT, or GTS. I install 'em for people, just haven't upgraded mine! I'd recommend a 8800 series card. Just one. You can shell out another $300 bucks later. (well, almost $300.)|||Dual-cards just for two monitors seems a bit silly. A single better card will perform better, be cheaper and use less power than two cards. Pretty much all recent graphics cards have two monitor outputs on them as well as a TV-out.

Without knowing what spec starcraft 2 requires it's hard to suggest a card for it, but either an ATI 3850 or 3870 should be sufficient, choose the one that suits your budget best, you can always add another one later if you want. If money is a concern, you should be able to get away with a slightly lower model, but the savings aren't that big.

No comments:

Post a Comment